Sunday, June 7, 2009

Jesus, Thank You

This weekend I had the privilege of attending our second annual men's retreat near Kirksville, MO. The retreat was a wonderful time of fellowship and Bible study for the men and teenagers in our church. I am so thankful to the Lord for such a wonderful group of guys. It is truly rare in America today to have such an engaged group of men in the local church.

During the two days, we had four sessions of teaching from Charles Leiter on the subject of "Justification and Regeneration." I would highly recommend his book on these two subjects. I haven't read it yet, but the sessions were based on the book and were extremely helpful in bringing clarity to issues that there is a lot of confusion among Christians. Each of the men received a copy of the book during the retreat. I look forward to reading it soon. Brother Leiter does a masterful job of using illustrations to drive home the teachings of Scripture. The illustrations he used in the first session on sin were the best I have ever heard and will be very useful in evangelism. Several of the men in the church have already read the book and said that the illustrations used in the teaching sessions are in the book as well.



http://www.monergismbooks.com/Justification-and-Regeneration-Expanded-Edition-p-17823.html (Note: Make sure to get the expanded edition with the added appendix)

In addition to the teaching sessions we enjoyed ping pong, skeet shooting, times of prayer, theological discussion, a bonfire, and some great barbecue. Both years by the bonfire I have rejoiced to see fathers with their boys, and am drawn to think of my boys and long for them to repent and believe at a young age so that they won't make many of the mistakes I have made, and so they can see the immense significance and joy of life in the Body of Christ.

We sang this song together this weekend that expresses our thanks to the Lord for our Justification and Regeneration. It is definitely one to memorize.

Jesus, Thank You - Click this link to hear the music

The mystery of the cross I cannot comprehend
The agonies of Calvary
You the perfect Holy One, crushed Your Son
Who drank the bitter cup reserved for me

Your blood has washed away my sin
Jesus, thank You
The Father’s wrath completely satisfied
Jesus, thank You
Once Your enemy, now seated at Your table
Jesus, thank You

By Your perfect sacrifice I’ve been brought near
Your enemy You’ve made Your friend
Pouring out the riches of Your glorious grace
Your mercy and Your kindness know no end

Lover of my soul
I want to live for You

© 2003 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (ASCAP)/Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP).


Hebrews 10:23-25 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

No comments: